Sunday, April 26, 2009

Summer Reading List

The semester's officially over tomorrow, which usually means that I'll have more time on my hands to do some serious reading over the next few months. Between the used book sales at the libraries and going out of business sales at different bookstores, I admit I went a little overboard these past few months. My goal is to include more "classics" into my summer reading list. Below are a few titles that I plan to get to this summer:

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. I started this a few days ago, and so far it's keeping my interest. It was inspired by our most recent former First Lady, with a twist.

Still Summer by Jacqueline Mitchard. I read The Breakdown Lane last fall, which was one of the best books I'd read in a long time, so I have high hopes for this one.

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. A nonfiction work about the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. I normally like books by journalists, and am eager to get to it.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. Coming off my final paper for my class, which focused on Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night, I thought I'd expand my list and check out a few other expat authors. This is Hemingway's memoir of life in 1920's Paris.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Both classics that I feel I should read.

This is just a brief sampling of the 40+ books that are in my "to be read" boxes and bags. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment