Monday, July 19, 2010

Random Writerly Thoughts

I'm working on about 5 different things at the moment, so today's post will be short and sweet.

Last week I received a nice surprise in the mail--5 contributor's copies of a publication that finally printed an article I'd written for them two years ago. Some months back I'd contacted the editor to see what the heck ever became of it, but I wrote it off as being lost in the shuffle. What a nice surprise to find that my work has finally seen the light of day. Best of all, there was a check in with the copies! Can't ask for more than that.

=====

I'm at a loss as to what it takes to make money as a blogger. Not here, necessarily, but as a blogger for other people. It seems that there are no shortage of blogging opportunities out there, but very few of them have any kind of compensation attached. I've lost count of the websites I see with a blogging "Community" where anyone can post, but good luck breaking in as a paid contributor. I have one possible lead for a regular (paid) blogging gig, but that might be a few months away yet. I'm completely stumped as to how folks make money with blogging, though I know many of them do. I tend to steer clear of blogging gigs unless it's one I somehow work out for myself (like this potential one--it's for a very reputable company whom I work with regularly, so I have no worries about payment, etc.)

===

How the heck do freelancers put together a resume? I just applied for a writing job and I had to send a resume, and I'll be damned if I had the foggiest idea of where to start. I just sent my whole CV--I don't think I have enough "specialized" clips to make a targeted resume, so I just sent the whole thing with all of my links, clips, etc. listed and am hoping for the best.

Your turn. What's plaguing you these days?

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea how you'd make money blogging! All the blogging jobs I've seen as well are too much work for too little pay. It's just not worth it. I think you need to be very web-savvy and have the ability to market & SEO the crap out of your site... I can't imagine anyone making full-time wages as a blog contributor though. It's nice to dream, however... and I'm sure *someone* out there has done it!

    I also can't figure out how to share my own blog address in this comment form, so I'll just post it here: http://www.boughanfire.com ...oh noes, I'm comment-form deficient!

    ReplyDelete