Friday, July 10, 2009

Recommended Writer Read: The 30 Second Commute


I recently finished Stephanie Dickison's book The 30 Second Commute, a memoir about writing and working from home. Those closest to me know that I've been toying with this very idea for awhile now. If you're in the same boat, you might pick up this book hoping it'll give you the final push you think you need.

It doesn't, and for one very specific reason, which Stephanie clearly spells out: Only you know when you're ready to make the leap, and you won't know if you've made the right decision until you've thrown caution to the wind and done it.

Ouch.

For the practical, logical, "look at a situation from every angle" types like me, the idea of taking such a bold risk is both thrilling--"I'm the last person to do such a thing"--and terrifying--"What will I do for insurance?" I'm absolutely on the fence with this. My assignments are picking up, but can I get enough work to keep me afloat? What's wrong with trying out the "starving artist" bit for awhile? It's the path that plenty of others have chosen.

Stephanie pulls no punches--it's not easy (though most of us already know that), but if writing is what you truly love to do, then it's well worth the risks.

The problem is that I've been ready to make the leap. Several times, in fact, and I backed out every time. The last time was only a few weeks ago. I'd had a contingency plan in place and just had to do it. I have faith in myself and confidence in my abilities--it's the rest of the world and the uncertainty of the field that makes me nervous. It would be nice if someone would say, It's okay to take the chance! It'll work out!

If you've made the leap, how did you know you were ready? How has it been working for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment