Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Freelancer's Education

I’m all about education this fall. Besides the classes I’m teaching and taking, I thought I’d give my freelance writing education a boost, as well. I signed up for the fabulous Steph Auteri’s first-ever e-course, 5 Weeks to Freelance Awesome. Though I don't know Steph personally, I think she'd be a hoot to hang out with. I love her irreverent and candid writing style (she blogs for YourTango.com and writes a sex column for The Frisky.com, and her writing can be found in a bunch of other places, too).

This is my first foray into taking any sort of class related to freelancing. I normally go for the direct approach and will email specific questions to certain freelancers, or contact them via Twitter. But that can only get me so far—I really want to learn more about successful self-marketing strategies, polishing queries, and breaking into bigger markets. The regional pubs have been very good to me and I’ve developed great working relationships with the editors I write for regularly, but I’m more than ready to take things to the next step, and I’m hoping this course will help me. Steph’s broken into some incredible markets, so if I’m lucky enough to see even a fraction of those results, the money spent will be well worth it.

What about you? How have you advanced your freelance education? What worked? What didn’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment