Thursday, January 10, 2013

What's On Your TBR Pile?



Hi, I’m Sara, and I’m a bibliophile. I LOVE books. I love buying them. I love reading them. I love libraries and bookstores and generally being surrounded by them. I love holding them in my hands. I vow to never own an electronic reading device as long as publishers keep publishing traditional books.

With that confessional out of the way, my love of books has brought a little bit of a problem.  I can’t stop buying them!

I have made a conscious decision to thin out some of my TBR inventory before I even think of bringing another book into this house. Impending marriage and moving is the catalyst for this project. (I also recently saw an episode of Hoarders where this elderly couple was literally imprisoned in their home by all of their books.  While I’m not quite that bad—by a long shot, thank you very much—it sort of scared the crap out of me, and was the extra encouragement I needed to keep thinning out the piles!)

Anyway. That episode of Hoarders (that couple gave away approximately 4,000 books…yes, that’s  FOUR THOUSAND…by the end of that little experiment) combined with this post I came across at RoofBeam Reader's blog at the end of December motivated me to create a “TBR” reading list for myself.  So, to adjust the requirements for the official challenge a bit, I’m making a list of 12 books that have been taking up space in my house for at least a year that I want to make a point of reading in 2013. My list includes:

I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass

Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan

Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell is This? By Marion Meade

The Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman

The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning: 1977 Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler

Dreamland by Kevin Baker

London Transports by Maeve Binchy

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

The Gravedigger’s Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo

What about you? Any recommendations or reviews for the above books? What do you plan to read from your TBR pile(s) this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment