Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blogs I'm Loving

A few fellow bloggers have been nice enough to either mention my little spot in cyberspace as a blog worth reading, or they've been gracious enough to provide me with the opportunity to write a guest post for them. So I think it's only fair that I put together a short list of those blogs that I make a point to read regularly, and I think you should, too:

The Urban Muse. I started reading this blog earlier this year, and it's now on my daily "to do" list. This is one of the most helpful blogs that I've seen, especially for those fledgling scribes like myself. The author, Susan Johnston, offers some great tips and insight into the writing world. She also has a free monthly e-newsletter (titled, appropriately, The Urban Museletter) that readers can sign up to receive. It's full of Rockin' Freelance Resources, updates on her writing projects, and other fun info.

The Writer Today. Writer Ana Rios regularly features guest bloggers talking about anything and everything writing-related. Her blog is a nice mix of information from all genres, so no matter what you write, you can find some helpful information here.

ThursdayBram.com. Thursday offers practical, straightforward tips and words of wisdom on the business side of freelance writing. During the month of July she ran a "Market Your Writing in 31 Days" series of posts, which she's since turned into an ebook.

Freelance Switch. This site should be called a freelance extravaganza, since this site lists literally anything and everything related to the freelance life. The site is not just for writers--the articles and blog posts are for web designers, photographers, graphic artists, and virtually any type of freelance professional imaginable. As an added reason to check out FS, some of the bloggers I've listed here are regular contributors. I've barely scratched the surface of all of the information available on the site.

Hell or High Water Writer. Must give credit where it's due--I learned about this site from reading The Urban Muse. Dublin, Ireland-based writer Beth Morrissey posts great info about the craft of writing, and also regularly posts calls for anthology submissions, writing contests, and other markets for various genres.

Anti-9-5 Guide. I'm currently reading (and loving) Michelle Goodman's latest book, My So-Called Freelance Life, but it's her first book, The Anti-9-5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube, that inspired the blog's title. Michelle offers some kick-ass advice about both freelancing and pursuing alternative careers, no matter what your interest. I love her straightforward and conversational writing style. It gives me a boost of confidence, like maybe there is something to this crazy freelance writing life after all. I kinda think she's one of my new heroes.

Now it's your turn--which writing-related blogs should we be reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment