Thursday, June 25, 2009

All the world's a stage


At our writer's group meeting on Saturday, playwright Bill Marley talked about the ins and outs of, um...playwriting...as well as offering a few helpful tips for fiction and writing in general.

Playwriting has always been an interest of mine (I'm open to most genres!), because I tend to include a lot of dialogue in my fiction, and I think writing good dialogue is one of my strong points. I wrote a very short play for a creative writing class I took a few years ago, and vowed to go back to it and tweak the script (of course, I haven't gotten there yet.)

Scheduling programming for the writer's group is really driving home the point that there are so many opportunities and possibilities for writers, it's absolutely staggering! Even with my own projects and whatnot, I have trouble keeping up with all of it sometimes. It's great to challenge myself and branch out into new areas, but it honestly makes my head spin when I see what companies and various markets are looking for.

Does diversifying help or hurt a writer's career? When is enough diversifying enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment